Saturday, December 6, 2008

Can't Be Touched

All the hype about the Pacquiao - De La Hoya fight has got me thinking boxing. Specifically its got me wondering, which boxers are the most akin to my favourite NBA teams?

My first instinct was to write a post comparing the Suns to Oscar - both are considered Golden Boys, are immensely popular and, recently, have been living off of past reputation rather than current success. However, aesthetically the two don't match up, Oscar's pretty boy features don't really induce comparisons to Steve Nash's (ex) greasy mop of hair, Shawn Marion's funky-looking jumpshot (yes, I know he's gone but I really wanted to bring up just how ugly those shooting mechanics are) or Shaq's 350 pounds of solid fat. After thinking a bit more I realized that the Suns might be more accurately likened to Roy Jones Jr.


Like the 7 seconds or less Suns, or the Showtime Lakers, Roy has always been valued for his showmanship and Flashlike speed. Now that he has slowed down, his deficiencies as a fighter are laid bare - likewise, now that the Suns have brought in Shaq and curbed their running game, their inability to execute in the halfcourt is becoming more and more obvious.


I'm going to do a little series covering the boxer/NBA team parallels. Up next, the world champion Boston Celtics!

No comments: