Friday, July 2, 2010

Let's build a super team


Alright, so first off I want to say, fuck LeBron and the media build-up to this summer. I didn't want to get sucked into this ego-trip but I just can't help myself.
Ever since EA introduced Career mode, later known as Franchise or Dynasty mode, to NHL '99 I've had a passion for building super-teams. I reached a new level in NHL 2003 when I got so good at the actual gameplay that it became ridiculously boring. All I wanted to do was fill my teams with 99 Potential guys like Steve Eminger and just have them run roughshod over the league for 10 straight years.

But you never get to do that in the real, which is what makes this summer so special.

So this is what's going to happen:

First, what's not going to happen. The two most important conditions for this summer to be a good one are that LeBron does NOT go back to Cleveland and that he does NOT go to The Knicks.

I've narrowed his options down to two Eastern franchises:

The Bulls
current depth chart:
PG - Derrick Rose
SG -
SF - Luol Deng
PF - Taj Gibson
C - Joakim Noah
Back up SF/PF - James Johnson

Looking to add: LeBron + Bosh

Now I can see why some people are excited about combining a much-hyped PG in Rose and a very good defensive center in Noah with the ridiculous offense that James and Bosh would bring to the table.

The two problems with this formula are that Rose just isn't very good yet and that I can't see the current group plus CB4/LBJ working as a TEAM. Maybe they could sign a couple good spot-up shooters and do something with Luol Deng's contract (maybe in exchange for Bosh?) but it's not an organic fit.

The organic fit is the New Jersey/Brooklyn Nets.
The Nets current depth chart:
PG - Devin Harris
SG - Courtney Lee
SF -
PF -
C - Brook Lopez
6th man - Terrence Williams
7th man/developing with tutoring from Bosh - Derrick Favors

Looking to add: LeBron, Bosh.

This team would be sick. Just off the wall fun. I don't know how good they'd be in their first year but they would be young, exciting and the success would be sustainable. This would be the opposite of the Chicago Blackhwawks team that just won the Cup and then imploded. This team would have the chance to establish a dynasty.

As much as I'm still a Lakers/Kobe fan, I want this to happen. I want to see Lakers-Nets finals for the next 4 straight years. I want to see veterans lining up to take minimum contracts with either team in the hopes of a ring. Most of all, I want to consider just how fucking cool the Nets could become, just a year removed from being a laughingstock.

Prokhorov is almost definitely the best thing to happen to the NBA since black people (and the only sports owner I've ever read about for a poli sci course), Jay-Z's getting more public in his minority-ownership role and the whole thing is moving from New Jersey to Brooklyn? After having had to play in New Jersey all these years, after having coming perilously close to being the worst team ever, after putting up with Vince Carter (I'm a Canadian, I can empathize), after not getting the #1 choice in the draft? Give these guys LBJ and Bosh, they deserve it.

No comments: