Monday, July 12, 2010

Slow down, ESPN.

The following is a guest post by McGales, who will be giving us a look at sports from a casual fan's perspective. Not to be confused with the ravings of the HCP's regular contributors.

Everything is better in slow motion.

Take the world cup, how many of you enjoyed the 3 hour games, the myriad ties, the dramatic tears and injuries, and, even better, the countless scoreless games?

I can't speak for everyone, but surrounded by the soft lulling of vuvuzelas, my eyes wouldn't have stayed open were it not for amazing moments like this, or this. It may not be right, and it may seem like a slap in the face to the athleticism showcased during the World Cup, but the slow motion replays had me on my knees. Everybody says that football (soccer) players are overly dramatic, but maybe they are actually just really expressive...

This particular countenance surely reflects his response to the ball aggressively massaging his face.

I relished the moments of drawn out agony, contorted faces, and priceless expressions that popped up every time there was an epic play or goal, and I firmly believe that FIFA players could pose some serious competition at any gurning event in England.

There isn't much of a point to all of this except to say thank you to FIFA, for all the slow motion clips that kept me alive during the 2010 World Cup. Like everything else, football is DEFINITELY much better in slow motion.



Well, maybe not everything is better in slow motion.


-McGales

Also, thanks everyone for reading my awesome guest-post. I love you guys, and I'm not just saying that because I'm drunk.


No comments: